Floyd Mayweather Olive Branch To Atlanta ... Talks With Trae Young!!
Here's Floyd Mayweather trying to make peace with the city of Atlanta -- a place where, the last time he was spotted, he was SHOT AT!!
Floyd sat courtside to watch the Hawks' Summer League game in Vegas on Wednesday ... and, when their newest superstar, Trae Young, balled out -- the boxing legend invited him for a postgame chat.
Unclear what the convo was actually about ... but, Floyd didn't seem to have any problem taking pics with ATL's newest hero ...
Apparently @FloydMayweather liked @TheTraeYoung's game so much he invited him out to come hang after the game.
@BSalSportsGuyRJ
Real recognizing real. ✊🏿💯@ATLHawks @NBA @NBASummerLeague @NBAStream @ESPNNBA @NBAHistory @NBAonTNT @NBAcom pic.twitter.com/lcl56TgKbZ
Trae's only 19 ... but, if he turns into Atlanta's next big thing -- perhaps their newfound relationship saves Floyd's bodyguards a bullet to the legs the next time he's in A-Town??
See also
Magic Johnson Predicted His Baller Life ... In 9th Grade!!
Back when he was a junior high student, Magic Johnson knew he was destined for big things ... telling a local paper he planned to play pro basketball, start a business and travel the world.
Check, check and check!
Johnson dug up the article from his 9th grade year for a dope Throwback Thursday post ... in which he was written up for breaking a city junior high scoring record with 48 points!
But, the best part of the article is when he was asked about future plans:
"In the future, Earvin plans to keep on playing ball up through high school, college and into the proffesional [sic] ranks. He also plans to start a business and to travel."
Now, roughly 44 years later ... Johnson is giving himself a well-deserved pat on the back.
"Even in the 9th grade I envisioned playing in the NBA, owning a business, and traveling the world. How amazing is God that I’ve been able to do all three at the highest level?"
See also
Heat's Dion Waiters 'East Is Wide Open' ... Now That LeBron's Out!
Miami Heat star Dion Waiters says his squad is a serious contender to win the NBA's Eastern Conference next season now that LeBron James is gone ... telling TMZ Sports, "We coming!"
"This year, the East is wide open," Waiters says ... "So, why not us?!"
Speaking of LeBron, Waiters played on the Cavs back before LeBron returned for his 2nd stint in Cleveland ... so we asked if he had any advice for the new LeBron-less Cleveland team.
"Man up!!! You know, it's a great opportunity for some of the young guys to go out and try to prove themselves. This is the opportunity you look forward to!"
And with young talent like Cedi Osman and Collin Sexton burning up the NBA summer league -- they should take Dion's advice to heart.
One last thing ... we also asked Waiters how he's recovering from his ankle surgery -- and Heat fans are gonna love his answer.
See also
LeBron James Power Dinner with Leo DiCaprio ... and Al Pacino
Imagine you're the server assigned to this table ... LeBron James, Al Pacino and Leonardo DiCaprio -- who gets to order first?!
That was the situation at Avra Beverly Hills on Wednesday night -- where the newest L.A. Lakers star broke bread with two of the most powerful men in Hollywood.
And, get this ... it seems Leonardo DiCaprio tried to run interference for Al and Bron -- because after the meal, Leo went out the front while the other two guys went out the back!
Of course, Leo is a massive Lakers fan who's been a regular at Staples Center over the years -- maybe Pacino is a fan of "Trainwreck"?
BTW -- LeBron's business partner, Maverick Carter, was also there (in the jean jacket) ... so yeah, this dinner was more business than pleasure.
No word on who paid (or expensed) the bill.
It's Bron's second big celebrity dinner since he's come to town -- he had sushi with Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson earlier this week.
Still hasn't dined with his Lakers teammates yet ...
See also
Charles Oakley Arrested In Vegas Casino Says He Cheated
-
EXCLUSIVE
- 2 shares
Charles Oakley is learning the hard way ... if you try to cheat a Vegas casino, you'll end up behind bars.
TMZ Sports has learned ... the ex-NBA star was arrested at the Cosmopolitan on July 8 after allegedly trying to pull a fast one during a gambling session -- and it was all caught on video.
Officials from the Nevada Gaming Board tell us Oakley "was suspected of adding to or reducing his wager on a gambling game after the outcome was known."
Unclear what game he was playing at the time -- but one source with knowledge of the incident says Oak tried to pull back a $100 chip after he realized he was going to lose.
FYI, Oakley reportedly made more than $46 mil during his NBA career.
Oak was confronted about the incident -- and it was kicked over to a security team which reviewed the casino video footage ... confirming the alleged cheating.
The 54-year-old was taken into custody at 5:30 PM and booked into Clark County Detention Center.
Oak's gambling charge is serious business -- "to commit or attempt to commit a fraudulent act in a gaming establishment." He faces between 1 to 6 years in prison if convicted.
A source close to Oakley tells us, "This is an insignificant matter that will be quickly resolved."
See also
Drew Brees Kids Get SonBurned ... Trying To Cover Golden Tate
SonBurned: When a man or woman is forced to watch their offspring (in this case, sons) get ruthlessly burned on the football field by an elite NFL WR who's taking no prisoners.
Drew Brees' kids should now know this definition well, having been ruthlessly destroyed by Lions WR Golden Tate while trying to guard him one-on-one with no safety help.
The life lesson went down at Santa Fe Christian High School where Brees was working out alongside other NFL guys like Tate, Darren Sproles and Michael Thomas.
At some point it was time for the kids to get in on the action, and the resulting carnage was caught on video as both Brees kids get turned around like J Lo walked by.
Might be time to teach them the other side of the ball, Drew ... it worked for you, after all.
See also
LeBron James Sells Comedy Flick to Paramount ... In Talks for Starring Role
LeBron James is already making moves in Hollywood -- the newest Lakers star just sold a movie project to Paramount Players ... and he's making a play for the starring role.
The project is a comedy movie, according to Variety ... which says Bron has been developing the flick with his production company, SpringHill Entertainment, and writer Steve Mallory.
Mallory wrote the Melissa McCarthy movie "The Boss" and he's working on her next project, "Superintelligence."
LeBron is producing the flick with his business partner, Maverick Carter.
It's not Bron's first big Hollywood deal -- he's already got a "House Party" reboot in the works and is working on the new "Space Jam" movie.
As for the acting side of it -- seems the final casting is not set in stone ... but if LeBron REALLY wants the role, who's gonna tell him no?
See also
Papa John's Founder Quits U. of Louisville Board After Using N-Word in Meeting
-
Breaking News
- 1 shares
7/12 -- Schnatter has now also resigned as chairman of Papa John's International.
Papa John's founder John Schnatter is quitting his post at the University of Louisville after he was called out for using the n-word during a meeting to, ironically, discuss his comeback from a different controversy.
Schnatter resigned from the University's Board of Trustees Wednesday hours after the NAACP called for him to step down ... on the heels of Schnatter confirming reports he dropped the racial epithet back in May. The pizza mogul was on a conference call with a marketing agency he'd hired to help him deal with the blowback he faced for criticizing the NFL's national anthem policy.
Forbes reported Schnatter questioned why he was being criticized, because "Colonel Sanders called blacks n***ers" and got away with it. He also reportedly spoke nonchalantly about growing up in Indiana where black people were dragged to death.
The University of Louisville said it doesn't condone racism ... but added it doesn't think Schnatter's comments "reflect his personal beliefs or values."
Schnatter is a major booster at Louisville. His company's HQ is there, and the University's football team plays in Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.
See also
Errol Spence Jr. Breaks Down Pacman's Brawl ... Offers Advice
Errol Spence Jr. -- one of the top boxers in the world -- has a tip for Pacman Jones the next time a dude runs up on him ... stop lunging so much!!
We got Spence out at Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles and showed him the tape of Pacman's airport brawl ... and Errol provided analysis and a message to the NFL cornerback to take into his next bout.
JULY 2018
First ... the boxer gives Jones props for the "mean right" that put the ABM employee, who police say instigated the fight, to sleep.
Next -- Errol commends Jones for handling business in an airport with no preparation.
But then, Spence keeps it real ... saying Jones needs to stop with the lunging punches -- otherwise HE might be the one takin' mugshots in a hospital bed after the fight.
"If the dude could really fight, he probably would have caught Pacman with a shot -- step back and hit him with a straight right or something like that."
All in all, though ... Errol's good with Jones' performance.
As for the instigator -- Spence didn't have much to offer there, saying, "It's a bad look. That's a major L."
See also
Frankie Edgar Ortega's Risking Title Shot ... By Passing on 226
Frankie Edgar says Brian Ortega pissed off the wrong people by turning down a replacement fight at UFC 226 ... and now his chances at another title fight could be ruined.
TMZ Sports spoke with The Answer about Ortega passing on Jeremy Stephens after Max Holloway backed out due to injury ... and Edgar says that could come back to haunt T-City in a big way.
"Sometimes when you have the chance to fight for a title or an interim title, you gotta jump on it," Edgar says. "Because who knows, now that Brian pissed off UFC and company, maybe they might not give him that shot."
As for his own future, Edgar says he's focused on healing up and being ready for a fight at UFC 230 in November.
See also
UCLA's Billy Knight Allegedly Sexually Abused 9-Year-Old ... Before Death
Ex-UCLA basketball star Billy Knight was arrested back in June after officials say he sexually abused a child ... and sources say the victim was only 9 years old.
TMZ Sports has learned ... in the weeks before Knight apparently killed himself, the 39-year-old was arrested and charged with 6 felonies for sexual encounters involving a girl under the age of 15.
Officials tell us ... Knight was arrested in Phoenix, Arizona on June 13.
Prosecutors in Maricopa County charged Knight with multiple counts of sexual conduct with a minor, sexual abuse and molestation of a child.
In court docs, obtained by TMZ Sports, prosecutors say some of the abuse took place at the victim's home -- and on her mother's bed.
Arizona is particularly tough when it comes to sex crimes involving minors -- and it appears he was facing more than 50 YEARS in prison if convicted on all charges.
Knight posted his $100,000 bail and was released from custody in June -- but ordered to wear an electronic monitoring device.
However, the victim's mother told cops Knight violated the terms of his release by contacting her several times and even appearing at her home.
He was due back in court in the coming weeks.
Knight was found dead in Phoenix in the early hours of July 8 -- after posting a disturbing goodbye video ... in which he admitted to living a life of "sin" and implied he was going to take his own life.
See also
Pacman Jones Attacker Takes Mug Shot In Hospital Bed
The man who attacked Pacman Jones took his official police mug shot in his hospital bed ... and TMZ Sports has the pic.
Forget "cheese" ... say, "I just got knocked the hell out!"
You're looking at Frank Ragin -- the ABM employee who police say instigated a fight with the NFL star at the Atlanta International Airport late Tuesday evening.
JULY 2018
In the footage obtained by TMZ Sports, you can see Ragin aggressively step to Jones and then attack him.
Once Jones found his bearings, he unleashed an attack of his own on Ragin and eventually knocked him out with an overhand right.
Cops arrested Ragin on 2 counts of battery -- but could NOT immediately take him to the police station to be booked, because he needed to be treated for his injuries.
Pacman was NOT arrested because cops say he was merely defending himself.
See also
David Johnson Squats 495 Pounds ... Three Times!!
Cardinals superstar David Johnson's out to prove he's back ... and he's doing so by throwing nearly half a thousand pounds ON his back!
The stud RB put 495 pounds on the barbell Wednesday and squatted it ... THREE TIMES!!
FYI -- Johnson missed 15 games last season 'cause of a wrist injury he suffered in Week 1 ... but, clearly, dude's no worse for wear heading into this season.
We know what you're thinking ... not THAT impressed, especially since Rams star Aaron Donald just BENCHED that last month.
But, you should be ... D.J. only weighs 224 pounds -- so it's more than DOUBLE his bodyweight!!
Fantasy nerds -- take note.
See also
Boxer Victor Ortiz Allegedly Violates Probation Warrant Issued
-
EXCLUSIVE
- 1 shares
Boxer Victor Ortiz is a wanted man ... after officials said he violated his probation in his DUI case -- and now a warrant has been issued for his arrest.
As we previously reported, the former WBC welterweight champ -- and "Dancing with the Stars" contestant -- was busted for drunk driving back in 2016 and was later sentenced to 3 years probation.
Well ... according to court docs, he was supposed to check in with his probation officer on June 20 -- but failed to do so -- and was then ordered to appear in court on July 10.
He blew that off too ... so a violation of probation warrant was issued.
It's not like cops will be out hunting Ortiz down -- but if he has a brush with the law, he'll be arrested and hauled into court. Bail has already been set at $5,000.
We reached out to Victor's camp -- but so far, no word back.
See also
Pacman Jones Fight Video Shows Violent Knockdown
JULY 2018
TMZ Sports has obtained video of Pacman Jones in a full-on FIST FIGHT at the Atlanta airport -- showing the NFL star retaliate violently after he was attacked by a man who works at the airport.
Cops told us the altercation began when the ABM employee -- Frank Ragin -- made a gesture toward the NFL star as he was walking through the airport with a female companion.
You can see in the video ... Pacman (real name Adam Jones) calls out the guy and confronts him.
Ragin -- still wearing his orange airport vest -- goes after Jones, initiating the fight.
Jones tries to take off his backpack, but instead throws a haymaker at Ragin. The two exchange shots until Pacman lands the knockdown blow with an overhand right, sending Ragin to the floor.
After Jones landed a few more shots, the fight was broken up.
Cops responded and arrested Ragin -- claiming he was the instigator and Jones was simply defending himself.
See also
Charles Barkley LeBron Can't Save Lakers Alone ... 'Won't Win Next Year'
Dear Lakers fans,
Don't plan the victory parade just yet.
Love,
The NBA legend was leaving Madeo in Beverly Hills on Tuesday when he hit Lakers nation with a cold, hard dose of reality -- LeBron James can't single-handedly save the Lake Show.
"He not gonna win next year," Barkley told our guy ... "Stop it, dude."
Barkley says Lebron's a great player, but they need to get better -- and tells TMZ Sports Magic Johnson needs to continue building out the roster and bringing in top talent before they can contend with the Warriors.
And, here's more Lakers dream-crushing -- Barkley says there's NO WAY IN HELL Kobe Bryant's coming out of retirement to play in the NBA.
But, he isn't ruling out a return to professional basketball ...